This past Saturday, Alison, Jeanette and I ran in the Susan G. Komen 5k Race for the Cure held at Atlantic Station. It was a blast. Nette was gracious enough to drive us down there in her new "Altima" aka Infinity. We got down to 17th Street exit to Atlantic Station and naturally it was clogged. Luckily, our driver knew a way around the mess (via 16th street and some good use of the Force) and we parked almost immediately. We pinned our numbers on our shirts so we looked official and then headed to the Expo. If you are a sucker for free stuff (we are) and like fun display booths (we do) then I highly suggest you sign up for the race and just go to the Expo. Granted, we probably didn't get $20 worth of free stuff - but we could have.
After loading up on as much canned chicken as possible, we headed up to the race start next to the Wachovia building. I've always seen pictures of a mass start, but seeing it in person and being a part of it was amazing. Seeing the throngs of people and all the bobbing heads in front of us was an odd adrenaline rush. Unfortunately, that rush was short lived for three reasons. First, we started too far in the back, so we were constantly dodging walkers. Second, after about a mile into the race, I had to take a huge dump. So did someone else in our party, but I'm going to let you guess which female it was. Third, as we were trying to squeeze to keep the poo in, we were right behing someone with one of the most odd/flabby/ugly butts I have ever seen. I wish I had a camera. Anyway....the race went really well. Our goal was to run in a group and run an average of a 13 minute mile. We did well on both. We didn't get split up and we crossed the finish line at 36:25:54 (PR's for everyone!).
All in all it was a great experience and has caused us to already sign up for a 4 mile race coming up on June 9th. I'll keep you posted as we race more and more.
No comments:
Post a Comment